Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Meditations On Theme






So when I was going through ideas in my head, the color schemes of Indian weddings and Dia De Los Muertos came up. I like the idea of having vibrant colors at the wedding and no pastels. But I wanted a little more pliable theme with room for me to get creative and keep it personal. We both like the idea of post-modern deconstruction.







Here is a link I like and identify with. I prefer deconstruction as the idea of divorcing automatic meanings from events. I believe we can make our own meaning, in a reasonable, case by case manner. I further believe that it is necessary to our humanity and that it is our duty to create our own meanings with events we experience.



The recycled arts and crafts I do is an example of the literal, physical deconstructionism that I enjoy. I want those to be prominent in the wedding decor - from the centerpieces to my dress, which is my mom's old wedding dress, cut up, dyed, and resewed to fit me.



So I decided I want a post-modernist, deconstructionist, whimsical, hipster wedding. I'm talking moustaches, swallows, octopuses, bicycles, suspenders, anything vintage, kitschy, artifacts of our lives worked into the decorations.



The idea of blurring the lines between ritual, ceremony, and performance is very exciting. The wedding will have an entirely different structural feel than most weddings, and we haven't even finalized what the ceremony/performance/ritual will be. But it will be some blending of those two!

No comments:

Post a Comment